Nikiti Real Estate | Nikiti Villas
Nikiti or Nikitas is one of Sithonia’s most significant areas. In the area of Nikiti, a large number of places have been found, where there were settlements during prehistoric years. From then, life continued in the area with small settlements and smaller or larger villages. During the classical years, the most significant small town in the area was Galipsos. Galipsos was the development of one important settlement. It seems that many Halkidian settlers were added to its residents during the 8th and 7th century BC. During the Persian Wars, they had to undergo compulsory recruitment.
Later on it became a member of the Athenian alliance. In 432, it broke away from the alliance and one part of the population shifted to Olynthus. We don’t know anything about its ending, but from the archaeological findings it is evident that the town was alive until the Roman years. It seems that one of the main reasons for its fading was the creation of a new settlement very close to Galipsos, namely in the area of Agios Georgios. A new settlement began to appear there in the Hellenistic years, which was developed very quickly and was the most significant in the area until the 6th century AC. That is when the settlement that was in the area Elia must had been destroyed. From the 6th century AC until the end of the 13th century, there is no information about the area.
In 1300, the largest part of Nikiti belonged to various monasteries of Agio Oros (Xenofontos, Lavras, Xiropotamou), but there was also an independent village, Psalida, from which only the totally ruined tower was saved. This village must have been destroyed by the Catalans around 1308. In the beginning of the 14th century, the creation of Nikiti’s present settlement started. To begin with, it was a small settlement of the cultivators of the monastery Neakitos, which belonged to the monastery of Xenofontos. With the passing of time the residents increased and by the 15th century it must have already been an independent village.
In 1821, Nikiti was destroyed by the Turks and its residents scattered. From 1822 until 1827, most of them returned and rebuilt the village. Today Nikiti is one of the most powerful places of Halkidiki and the most important bee-keeping centre of Greece.