The Byzantine towers of Halkidiki
During the Byzantine period, many emblematic towers have been built in various parts of Greece, which are still preserved today, either partially or completely. On the peninsula of Halkidiki we find some of them: Tower Krounas-Ierissos, Tower of Prosforeio, Tower of Galatista, Tower of Nea Fokaia, Tower of Stavronikita-Sani, Tower Marianon-Olynthos.
Krounas-Ierissos Tower: One of the most important sights of Ierissos, 1 km. northwest of the town. The metochi was surrounded by a wall that collapsed and it was built in the 15th century. Its name is a corruption of the word Koroni (Serbian name) and since 1542 and over the years belonged to the monastery of Chelandari with some breaks. (it was recorded in 1765 as a ruined metochi- Koroni of the monastery). It has a height of 12 meters, a square section with a side length of about 7 meters and it is believed that it had another floor that it collapsed. Today it is under the jurisdiction of the 10th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities.
Prosforeiou Tower or Ouranoupolis: The symbol-tower of Ouranoupolis built in the 12th century. (cited until 1344). It is the largest and best-preserved tower of Halkidiki and is located in the Propylaea of Mount Athos. The medieval architecture monument was inhabited by Proponti’s refugees after 22 and later by the English-Australian couple Lock (locals still call it Lock's tower). The couple offered their assistance to World War I refugees and earthquake victims in 32. The metochi of Prosforios (Ouranoupolis) dates back to the Byzantine years and since 1018 its core was occupied by the Vatopedi monastery. Today it operates inside the restored monument, an exhibition center for the antiquities of the Christian era of Halkidiki.
Galatista’s Tower: A Byzantine, imposing, narrow tower built on a hill-mark of the area. It is until today 16 meters high and is made of stone and clay. Its first fixing works began in 1965, a built water tank was discovered in 1994, and its works were completed in 2008. Today it hosts a periodical exhibition entitled '' The Halkidiki Towers ''.