Poligiros Real Estate | Poligiros Villas
Polygiros is the capital of Halkidiki Prefecture. It is located in the centre of this area and it is built on the south foothills of Mt. Holomontas at 550m above sea level. Slopes overgrown with oaks lie on the north side of Polygiros. The highest top of them is Tsoukalas, 890m in height. An impressive conic hill, the famous Ai-Lias and the homonymous country church overlook Polygiros.
Small hills, coulees and streams are located on the south side. They lead to fruitful slopes with the olive groves of Polygiros and to the coastlines, where Kalyves and Gerakini villages are built.
There are many versions concerning the origin of the name “Polygiros”. It is said that it comes from the word “kilties”, which means slopes, or the words “poli geros”, which mean “very strong” because of the very healthy climate of the area. According to another explanation, the name comes from the word “Poliaros” (probably the name of a rich landowner) that was found in an engraved epigraph. Finally, another version attributes the name to the words “poli ieros topos” (very sacred place) because of a sanctuary found in the area. This sanctuary kept its glory even after the destruction and abandonment of the ancient town of Apollonia.
Polygiros is reported from the Byzantine period. Many historians identify Polygiros with ancient Apollonia, while others believe that Apollonia was built close to Polygiros. The most important historical event that took place in Polygiros was the beginning of the Revolution of Halkidiki, on May 17th, 1821. After the murder of the Greek farmer Kirkos Papageorgakis by the Turks, the people of Polygiros attacked and killed the Turkish guard first and later forced the Turkish army to abandon the area.